« Foundry Home Page
Atomic Structure of Ultrathin Gold Nanowires
Revealed the atomic structure, defect, strain, and surface characters of ultrathin Au nanowires.
Significance and Impact
A comprehensive understanding of the atomic-scale structure-property relationship of ultrathin metal nanowires is critical for their applications in nanotechnologies.
- Ultrathin Au nanowires were efficiently synthesized via a silane-mediated approach
- Exhibit an atomic wavy surface and contain large amounts of stacking fault defects
- Instability of the nanowires is governed by strain effect
- HR-TEM imaging of surface ligands was possible with well controlled dose-rates and reduced background noise
- Coalescence dynamic is directly observed at the atomic level
Y. Yu, F. Cui, J. Sun, P. Yang, Nano Letters 16, 3078 (2016) DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.6b00233