« Foundry Home Page
Gang (Gary) Ren
Staff Scientist, Imaging and Manipulation of Nanostructures
1997University of Science and Technology Beijing, China
Ph.D., Material Physics (Mentors: Profs, Lianmao Peng, and Ke-Hsin Kuo)
1993Lanzhou University, Gansu Prov., China
M.S., Theoretical Physics (Mentor: Prof. Yi-Shi Duan)
1990Lanzhou University, Gansu Prov., China
B.S., Theoretical Physics
My research group is focused on developing a new-era electron microscopy technique, individual-particle electron tomography (IPET) for achieving 3D structure of a single macromolecule (no averaging from different molecules) at nanometer resolution. As an only experimental approach for uncovering a single macromolecular 3D structure (no averaging) at near nanometer resolution, IPET can uncover the interface between flexible macromolecules; reveal the macromolecular dynamics/fluctuations and track the 3D structural changes during chemical reactions of soft and biological macromolecules. This information is critical for current biological research and drug development, as a result, IPET will bring a large amount of users to our molecular foundry.
Selected Invited Lectures
- “Three-dimensional electron tomographic for hard and soft materials research.” Workshop talk at Materials Research Society, spring meeting, Phoenix, AZ, Workshop talk in Mar. 2017,
- “Individual-Particle Electron Tomography (IPET): an approach to study flexible soft-/bio-molecular structure and dynamics”. National Institute of Standard Technology (NIST), Gaithersburg, Maryland, U.S, Workshop talk in Mar. 2017.
- “3D image of a single protein”. National Institute of Standard Technology (NIST), Gaithersburg, Maryland, Seminar, Nov. 2016.
- “Individual-particle electron tomography (IPET): an approach to study protein mechanism, dynamics and aggregation.” 21st Annual Sealy Center for Structural Biology Symposium, Galveston, TX, April 2016
- “3D structural dynamics of DNA-nanogold conjugates.” NanoWorld Conference, Boston, MA
- “Individual-particle electron tomography (IPET): an approach to study protein mechanism, dynamics and aggregation.” The Higher Order Structure 2014, An International Separation Science Society, Long Beach, CA., March 2015
- “Individual-particle electron tomography (IPET): an approach to study protein mechanism, dynamics and aggregation.” Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WC, March 2016
- “IPET: an approach to study protein mechanism, dynamics and aggregation.” Eli Lilly, Indianapolis, IN, October 2015
- “Individual-particle electron tomography (IPET): an approach to study protein mechanism, dynamics and aggregation.” Eli Lilly, San Diego, CA, August 2015
- “Individual-particle electron tomography (IPET): an approach to study protein mechanism, dynamics and aggregation.” Biogen Inc., Boston, MA, July 2015
- “Extended Theory of Harmonic Maps Connects General Relativity to Chaos and Quantum Mechanism”, Gang Ren, Yi-Shi Duan, Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, (2017) 103: 567–570.
- “Investigation of the Three-Dimensional Structural Dynamics and Fluctuations of DNA-Nanogold Conjugates by Individual-Particle Electron Tomography”, Lei Zhang, Dongsheng Lei, Jessica M. Smith, Huimin Tong, Xing Zhang, Zhuoyang Lu, Paul Alivisatos and Gang Ren, Nature Comm., (2016) 7:11083.
- “Polyhedral 3D Structure of Human Plasma Very-Low-Density Lipoproteins by Individual Particle Cryo-Electron Tomography”, Yadong Yu, Yu-Lin Kuang, Dongsheng Lei, Xiaobo Zhai, Meng Zhang, Ronald M. Krauss, Gang Ren, J. Lipid Research, (2016) 57(10):1879-1888.
- “A Fully Mechanical Controlled Automation Electron Microscopic Tomography”, Jinxin Liu, Hongchang Li, Lei Zhang, Matthew Rames, Xuefeng Chen, Xu Yang, Gang Ren, Scientific Reports, (2016), 6:29231.
- “Insights into the Tunnel Mechanism of Cholesteryl Ester Transfer using All-atom Molecular Dynamics Simulations”, Dongsheng Lei, Matthew Rames, Xing Zhang, Lei Zhang, Shengli Zhang and Gang Ren, J. Biolo. Chem., (2016) 291(27):14034-44.
- “3D structural fluctuation of IgG1 antibody revealed by individual particle electron tomography”, Xing Zhang, Lei Zhang, Huimin Tong, Matthew J. Rames, Gang Ren, Scientific Reports, (2015), 5, 09803.
- “Peptide-Introduced Conformational Changes to Human Immunoglobulin by Optimized Negative-Staining Electron Microscopy and Individual-Particle Electron Tomography”, Tong, H., L Zhang, A. Kaspar, L. Huang, G. Woodnutt, and G. Ren. Scientific Reports, (2013), 3(1089):1-9.
- “Structure basis of transfer between lipoproteins by cholesteryl ester transfer protein”. Zhang, L., F. Yan, S. Zhang, D. Lei, M. A. Charles, G. Cavigiolio, M. Oda, R. M. Krauss, K. H. Weisgraber, K.A. Rye, H.J. Pownall, X. Qiu & G. Ren. Nature Chemical Biology, (2012), 8(4):342-349.
- “Model of Human Low Density Lipoprotein and Bound Receptor Based on Cryo-EM”. Ren, G., G. Rudenko, S.J. Ludtke, J. Deisenhofer, W. Chiu, H.J. Pownall, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. (2010), 107(3):1059–1064.
- “An Optimized Negative-staining Protocol of Electron Microscopy for apoE4.POPC Lipoprotein”. Zhang, L., J. Song, Y. Newhouse, S. Zhang, K.H. Weisgraber, and G. Ren, J. Lipids Research, (2010), 51(5):1228-36.
- “Visualization of a water-selective pore by electron crystallography in vitreous ice”. Ren, G., Reddy, V. S., Cheng, A., Melnyk, P., and Mitra, A. K. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. (2001), 98: 1398-1403.
All Publications by Gary Ren in Foundry database »