« Foundry Home Page
Staff Engineer, Inorganic Nanostructures/Imaging and Manipulation of Nanostructures
2001 Weizmann Institute of Science, Rechovot, Israel
Ph.D. in Chemical Physics, Awarded Finberg prize for outstanding graduate research
1995 Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel
M. Sc. in Materials Science and Engineering, Summa Cum Laude
1992 Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheva, Israel
B. Sc. in Materials Science and Engineering, Cum Laude
My work revolves around the study of one dimensional semiconducting nanostructures and heterostructures. The work spans synthetic efforts and the development of novel characterization techniques. We synthesize semiconducting interfaces to control the charge distribution and flow, for light emitting and light harvesting applications. Moreover, we are developing strategies of synthesis of novel two dimensional materials with chemical complexity outside of the reach of standard deposition methods. To characterize these structures we are developing electron-based hyperspectral-imaging techniques based on cathodoluminescence and electron energy loss spectroscopies to locally probe optical, plasmonic and electronic properties with unprecedented resolution.
- Liu, K. et al. Quantum-coupled radial-breathing oscillations in double-walled carbon nanotubes. Nat. Commun. 4, 1375 (2013).
- Altoe, V., Martin, F., Katan, A., Salmeron, M. & Aloni, S. Electron Microscopy Reveals Structure and Morphology of One Molecule Thin Organic Films. Nano Lett. 12, 1295–1299 (2012).
- Liu, K. et al. An atlas of carbon nanotube optical transitions. Nat. Nanotechnol. 7, 325–329 (2012).
- Hendriksen, B. L. et al. Electrical transport properties of oligothiophene-based molecular films studied by current sensing atomic force microscopy. Nano Lett. 11, 4107–4112 (2011).
- Schwartzberg, A. M., Aloni, S., Kuykendall, T., Schuck, P. J. & Urban, J. J. Optical cavity characterization in nanowires via self-generated broad-band emission. Opt. Express 19, 8903–8911 (2011).
- Kuykendall, T., Ulrich, P., Aloni, S. & Yang, P. Complete composition tunability of InGaN nanowires using a combinatorial approach. Nat. Mater. 6, 951–956 (2007).
- Regan, B., Aloni, S., Ritchie, R., Dahmen, U. & Zettl, A. Carbon nanotubes as nanoscale mass conveyors. Nature 428, 924–927 (2004).
- Mickelson, W., Aloni, S., Han, W.-Q., Cumings, J. & Zettl, A. Packing C60 in boron nitride nanotubes. Science 300, 467–469 (2003).
- Aloni, S., Nevo, I. & Haase, G. Photovoltage imaging of a single As-vacancy at a GaAs (110) surface: Evidence for electron trapping by a charged defect? J. Chem. Phys. 115, 1875 (2001).
- Aloni, S., Nevo, I. & Haase, G. Local Fermi-level pinning at a single adatom (Cs) or vacancy (As) on a GaAs (110) surface. Phys. Rev. B 60, R2165–R2168 (1999).
All Publications by Shaul Aloni in Foundry database »