Staff Scientist, Nanofabrication Facility
Ricardo Ruiz joined the Molecular Foundry as a staff scientist in November 2019. From 2016 to 2019 he was a research technologist at Western Digital working on alternative nanofabrication techniques for non-volatile memories. From 2013 to 2016 he managed a Nanopatterning and Self Assembly group at HGST dedicated to block copolymer and colloidal lithography for magnetic recording. From 2006 to 2013, he was a research staff member at Hitachi Global Storage Technologies where he helped introducing block copolymer lithography for magnetic bit patterned media technology.
2003 PhD in Physics. Vanderbilt University (Prof. Richard Haglund and Prof. Leonard C. Feldman)
2003-2004 Postdoctoral stay at Cornell University, CCMR –Organic Electronics (with Prof. George G. Malliaras)
2004-2006 Postdoctoral stay at IBM T. J. Watson –Block Copolymer Self-Assembly (with Dr. Charles Black)
My research interests revolve around using Soft Matter Physics to overcome specific challenges in assembling and manipulating matter at the nanometer-length scale. This covers a variety of nanofabrication techniques such as block copolymer lithography, nanoparticle and colloidal self-assembly and bio-molecular lithography for applications in nanoelectronics, memory and semiconductor synthetic biology.
- Wan, Lei, and Ricardo Ruiz. A Path to Move Beyond The Resolution Limit with Directed Self-Assembly. ACS applied materials & interfaces (2019).
- Chen, J.; Fasoli, A.; Cushen, J. D.; Wan, L.; Ruiz, R., Self-Assembly and Directed Assembly of Polymer Grafted Nanocrystals via Solvent Annealing. Macromolecules 2017, 50 (24), 9636-9646.
- Wan, L.; Ruiz, R.; Gao, H.; Albrecht, T. R., Self-Registered Self-Assembly of Block Copolymers. ACS Nano 2017, 11 (8), 7666-7673.
- Ruiz, R.; Wan, L.; Lopez, R.; Albrecht, T. R., Line Roughness in Lamellae-Forming Block Copolymer Films. Macromolecules 2017, 50 (3), 1037-1046.
- Xiong, S.; Wan, L.; Ishida, Y.; Chapuis, Y. A.; Craig, G. S. W.; Ruiz, R.; Nealey, P. F., Directed Self-Assembly of Triblock Copolymer on Chemical Patterns for Sub-10-nm Nanofabrication via Solvent Annealing. ACS Nano 2016, 10 (8), 7855-7865.
- Wan, L.; Ruiz, R.; Gao, H.; Patel, K. C.; Albrecht, T. R.; Yin, J.; Kim, J.; Cao, Y.; Lin, G., The Limits of Lamellae-Forming PS- b -PMMA Block Copolymers for Lithography. ACS Nano 2015, 9 (7), 7506-7514.
- Cushen, J.; Wan, L.; Blachut, G.; Maher, M. J.; Albrecht, T. R.; Ellison, C. J.; Willson, C. G.; Ruiz, R., Double-Patterned Sidewall Directed Self-Assembly and Pattern Transfer of Sub-10 nm PTMSS-b-PMOST. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 2015, 7 (24), 13476-13483.
- Ruiz, R.; Dobisz, E.; Albrecht, T. R., Rectangular patterns using block copolymer directed assembly for high bit aspect ratio patterned media. ACS Nano 2011, 5 (1), 79-84.
- Stipe, B. C.; Strand, T. C.; Poon, C. C.; Balamane, H.; Boone, T. D.; Katine, J. A.; Li, J. L.; Rawat, V.; Nemoto, H.; Hirotsune, A.; Hellwig, O.; Ruiz, R.; Dobisz, E.; Kercher, D. S.; Robertson, N.; Albrecht, T. R.; Terris, B. D., Magnetic recording at 1.5Pbm-2using an integrated plasmonic antenna. Nature Photonics 2010, 4 (7), 484-488.
- Ruiz, R.; Kang, H.; Detcheverry, F. A.; Dobisz, E.; Kercher, D. S.; Albrecht, T. R.; De Pablo, J. J.; Nealey, P. F., Density multiplication and improved lithography by directed block copolymer assembly. Science 2008,321 (5891), 936-939.