Successful synthesis and structural characterization of three new transition metal trichalcogenides, TiTe3, NbTe3, and VTe3.
Significance and Impact
Nanoconfined growth method allows traditionally unstable materials to be realized
- TiTe3, NbTe3, and VTe3, previously experimentally unknown materials, synthesized within the nanoconfined interior of carbon nanotubes
- High-resolution STEM imaging reveals atomic structure.
- Density functional theory (DFT) elucidates electronic structure and mechanical stability of materials
- Adds to family of 1-D transition metal trichalcogenides that have been created in single- or few-chain form
- Sets stage for further study of density wave instabilities or topologically non-trivial states