Check User Agreement Status
A User Agreement between Berkeley Lab and the home institution of each user on the proposal is required before any work can begin. Many organizations already have a signed user agreement. If your organization does not have an established an agreement, email the Foundry User Office to set one up. You can view the status of your User Agreement by logging in to the User Portal . Learn more about User Agreements.
Complete Secondary Safety Questionnaire
After your proposal is approved, one member of your project team must submit more detailed safety information in the Secondary Safety Questionnaire. Log in to the User Portal to complete the Safety Questionnaire. This information must be evaluated and approved before you can begin work at the Foundry. Learn more about the safety review process.
Users on proposals that only request use of the Theory Facility are not required to complete this step.
Complete Core Safety Training Courses
In order to get an early start on your safety training requirements, it is possible to complete the core safety training courses online before you arrive. To view and complete the recommended core safety training courses for your project, log on to the User Portal and navigate to the section titled, “Complete core safety training.”
Discuss Start Date with Assigned Scientist
Contact your Assigned Scientist to discuss the logistics of your project and your arrival date. If you aren’t sure who your Assigned Scientist is, log in to the User Portal to view your proposal.
Get a Berkeley Lab Badge
In order to work onsite at the Foundry, you must have an active Berkeley Lab badge and a Berkeley Lab identity account or “LDAP” (more).
To get a new Berkeley Lab badge and identity, you will need to be appointed as an LBNL Affiliate (unless you are an LBNL employee). It is recommended that you initiate this process 1-2 months prior to your arrival at the Foundry**. Follow the instructions below to request a new badge/affiliate appointment or to restart a terminated appointment:
- Log in to the User Portal, follow the link to request a badge.
- Non-U.S. citizens will be subsequently contacted to provide additional documentation, including: C.V., visa documentation, green card copy (if applicable), and passport copy. NOTE: Please be on the lookout for follow-up emails after you submit your badge request, and contact [email protected] if you have questions during this process. Failure to provide all requested documents will delay the processing of your badge request.
- Users under the age of 18 will require additional documents and review prior to obtaining a badge.
- Once the review process is complete, you will receive another email with details about picking up your badge and your Berkeley Lab identity credentials.
- Complete the General Employee Radiation Training (GERT) online prior to your badge appointment.
** Generally, most users are able to work onsite at Berkeley Lab. However, users who are from T4 countries (Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria), need DOE permission and authorization from other U.S. Government agencies to work with Berkeley Lab, a process which can take 6 months or longer to obtain with no guarantee of approval.
Next Section: 3. When You Arrive